Emergency FAQs

Dentist Saratoga Springs

What should I do if I have an emergency when the office is closed?

We value your dental health and comfort around the clock, even after office hours. In the event of a true dental emergency, please call our office and let us know the nature of your condition. Weʼll return your call as soon as possible, give you helpful information over the phone, and then determine if you need to be seen right away.

I have a temporary crown in my mouth. What should I do if it comes off or breaks?

First, call us. If the office is closed, simply use a dab of denture adhesive (not powder) to reattach the temporary, then visit us for a replacement when the office opens. Denture adhesive can be found in your local drug store.

I knocked my permanent tooth out. What should I do?

Fortunately this rarely happens. Unfortunately, the prognosis is generally poor. If you are not otherwise hurt, lick (yes lick) any debris off the tooth and push it back into the socket immediately and bite down. The faster it goes back in, the better chance the tooth has of reattaching. Do NOT rinse with water. The lesser option is place the tooth in a small glass of milk, call our office and we will try to see you immediately. If you are injured beyond the lost tooth, please go to the emergency room.

My tooth broke. Help!

First call us. If the office is closed, the situation is not urgent, as the damage is already done. The tooth may be sensitive to cold or sweets; this is actually a good thing. Keep it clean and avoid using the area. Save the piece that broke if you can. Orthodontic wax, available in the drugstore, can be placed over any sharp spots if you need it. The tooth will most likely need a crown.